Kenny Carter’s famous savory chili recipe. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Kenny’s Chicken Chili
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 boneless chicken breasts, skinned & cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt & pepper to taste
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
1 medium yellow/sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
tsp. dried oregano
2 cups chicken stock
1 (12.8-oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15-oz.) can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
Shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
Light sour cream (for topping)
1 lime, quartered (for topping)
1 bunch scallions, diced (for topping)
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium/high heat. Add chicken to pot, season with salt & pepper, and brown (approx. 4 minutes per side).
- Remove chicken from the pot and set aside. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot.
- Add peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add onions and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add chili powder, cumin and oregano. Stir and continue heating for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes and beans. Mix well.
- Bring chili to a boil. Let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Top, if desired, with cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, chopped scallions, or other favorite chili toppers. You can also serve over brown rice.