Florida Chicken, Mushroom, and Bacon Melt
Here is one of those dishes that taste even better the second time around. According to Fresh From Florida (freshfromflorida.com), the reheated leftovers for this dish make the perfect sandwich!
3-4 Florida chicken breasts
1 (8-oz.) container of Florida mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 strips thick-cut bacon
4 slices Havarti cheese
1-2 tbsp. your favorite all-purpose seasoning
1-2 tbsp. unsalted butter
4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season chicken breasts with all-purpose seasoning on both sides and set aside.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove from heat and set aside. Using the same pan and rendered bacon grease, sear chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and place into a casserole dish or sheet pan.
- Place a slice of cheese over each chicken breast, then place in the oven and continue to cook for about 10 minutes or until internal thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is in the oven, sauté the mushrooms in the same pan with any leftover pan drippings and butter. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Add in the crumbled bacon and mix to combine.
- Assemble dish by garnishing each piece of chicken with a spoonful of the mushroom and bacon mixture over the top.
- Fresh Tip from Fresh From Florida: Leftovers would make a great sandwich the next day! Gently reheat on the stove top or in the oven.
- Recipe can be found on Fresh From Florida’s website: https://www.followfreshfromflorida.com/recipes/florida-chicken-mushroom-and-bacon-melt