Florida Chicken and Vegetable Soup
When the weather is crappy outside, nothing warms your tummy like a nice bowl of chicken soup. This particular recipe, courtesy of Fresh from Florida (freshfromflorida.com), is chock full of veggies, plus beans for a little extra protein.
3 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded (leftover rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe!)
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
2 cups Florida sweet corn, cut off the cob
2 cups potatoes, diced small
1/4 cup celery, diced small
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced small
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped fine
5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped fine
2 tbsp. all-purpose seasoning (such as Everglades Seasoning)
2 tbsp. olive oil, for cooking
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add oil. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add the remaining vegetables, chicken, and beans, and stir to combine. Season with all-purpose seasoning and thyme.
- Pour in vegetable broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Finish by adding heavy cream and stir in fresh parsley.
- Recipe can be found on Fresh from Florida’s website: https://www.followfreshfromflorida.com/recipes/florida-chicken-and-vegetable-soup