Florida Chicken and Vegetable Pot Pie
Fall is the perfect time for a warm, savory pot pie – and this particular pie, courtesy of Fresh from Florida (freshfromflorida.com) is packed full of delicious, creamy goodness!
3 Florida chicken breasts or thighs, diced medium
2 cups carrots, diced medium
2 cups potatoes, diced medium
1 stalk celery, diced small
1/2 sweet onion, diced small
2 cups frozen peas
4 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tbsp. fresh thyme
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Frozen/prepared pie crust or puff pastry for topping
1 egg, beaten
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Preheat a large pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sautè for 5 minutes. Add in the fresh thyme, garlic, onions, carrots, celery, peas, and potatoes. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle mixture with flour and stir to coat everything, then cook for 1 to 2 more minutes before slowly whisking in the stock (start with the least amount of liquid and add more until desired thickness). Bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes; remove from heat, add in heavy cream, and stir to combine.
- To assemble pot pies, start by cutting out the shape of the crust, making sure it is larger than the diameter of the dish (this will be for the top only). Pour pot pie mixture into individual ramekins or a casserole dish, top with pie crust or puff pastry and press to seal or crimp the edges.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon of tap water to the beaten egg. Whisk egg ingredients to combine into egg wash. Cut small slits in the middle of the pie crust of puff pastry for venting, and brush tops with egg wash. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 60 minutes (depending on the size of the baking dish), or until tops are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve (will be extremely hot).
- Fresh Tip: Any extra filling can be turned into a soup for a bonus meal. Just add more chicken or vegetable broth and Florida vegetables, then cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Recipe can be found on Fresh from Florida’s website: https://www.followfreshfromflorida.com/recipes/florida-chicken-and-vegetable-pot-pie